Georgann Lardaro, Director (Pre-K-7)
Robert Ferri, Youth Ministry/Confirmation Director
Brenda Tougas, Administrative Assistant for Religious Formation
“As important and rewarding as the ministry of faith formation is, and as faithful and dedicated as our catechists are, we know that parents are the first and best teachers in the ways of faith. As a pastor speaking for dozens of catechists who have accepted the responsibility of assisting parents in their duty to bring up their children to love and serve the Lord, I thank parents for their trust and support.
In John 14:18, as Jesus prepared to leave His disciples and entrust them to continue the mission He began, He told them: “I will not leave you orphans. I will come to you.” Our teachers keep Christ alive in the hearts of our young people; they spark the desire in every human heart to know God. Their enthusiastic response to God’s call serves as an inspiration to us all, especially the hundreds of young people whom they serve.
If you know a catechist (teacher), go out of your way to thank them. If you know anyone among the 95 kids who just got confirmed, or among the 70 kids who are receiving First Holy Communion this Easter season (perhaps they live across the street, perhaps you’re a friend of the family or you see them in church), congratulate and encourage them! Your encouragement is a sign of our parish unity and a blessing, and we’re all called to the ministry of blessing others!” – Fr. Jared (taken from the bulletin 5/7/17)
Consider teaching in our Parish Program, maybe God has called you. Our program has room for teachers (catechists) in Grades: Pre-K, K, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 & Grade 8 Mentors for Confirmation. We supply the resources and the support. Email Contact information is listed above. Or call 789-0417 and speak to Georgann or Brenda. For Grade 8 Confirmation please contact Robert Ferri.
WHO NEEDS TO REGISTER:
Registration is open to those families who are currently registered here at Christ the King.
- Program registration is required in order for a child to attend classes.
- Parents/Guardians of all children who have not been previously registered in our parish program need to contact the Religious Formation office to register.
- Students new to the program, who have not been baptized at Christ the King must provide a copy of their baptismal record.
- If your child was active in the program last year, you do not need to re-register. Catholic school students in Grade 2 (First Communion) and 8 (Confirmation), must register for sacramental preparation.
- Please let us know if your child will not be returning to the program next year, i.e: Catholic school student who was in First Communion, a child that is transferring to a Catholic school, and/or family who is moving out of the area.
If public schools and the University of Rhode Island have cancelled activities due to inclement weather or other extenuating circumstances, Religious Formation classes will automatically be cancelled. Additionally, announcements of cancellations will be made on all local radio, TV stations, as well as the parish website including Facebook & Twitter.
Please be certain that the Religious Formation office is informed about all medical and allergy information about your child(ren). It is important to inform the Director of any medical changes that may occur throughout the year.
The Director should be informed of any special academic or accommodations your child(ren) may require. Pertinent information concerning child custody should also be shared with the Religious Formation office. All information is kept confidential.
Christ the King Parish is also committed to providing a safe and positive place for children to learn and share faith. In order to maintain optimal safety, all who work with our parish children and youth must complete the diocesan Safe Environment Training program, as well as a background check. Our student curriculum also includes the Circle of Grace program as part of Safe Environment practices.
To assist of the safe and orderly operation of our Religious Formation program, the following procedures are noted:
Arrival/departure procedures –
- Please do not park on Upper College Rd. Anyone who is in violation may be ticketed by University security.
- Parking lots are located behind the University Information Center across the street from Swan and the Faculty lot across from Washburn.
- There are crossing guards at all cross walks; please be sure to be respectful and follow their directions.
- Classes begin at 10:15 am and teachers are required to be in class at 10:00 am.
- Children who are dropped off beforehand will be unsupervised. For safety reasons, please do not leave any child in a classroom that is unattended.
- Children in grades 4 and up will automatically be released from class at 11:15 am.
- All other grades require an older sibling or parent to pick them up from their classrooms.
- For safety purposes students in Grades 1 through 5, (Swan Hall), who must leave before dismissal at 11:15 must be escorted by a parent who comes directly to the classroom. Children will not be dismissed otherwise.
- For safety purposes students in Grades Pre- K & K, (Washburn Hall), must be picked up by a parent. Grades 6 & 7, (Washburn Hall), who must leave before dismissal at 11:15 are required to have a note from parent or be picked up by parent from their classroom. Children will not be dismissed otherwise.
Due to the limited number of teaching hours, it is important that a student be present for each class unless illness or other serious reasons prevent their attendance. If a child is unable to attend class, parents should call the Religious Formation office (401-789-0417).
Class time and buildings assignments:
Class time for Pre-K – 7: 10:15 – 11:15 am on Sundays
Grades 1-5 meet in Swan Hall –
Grades Pre-K, K, 6 & 7 meet in Washburn Hall